A Guide to NC Comicon
Embrace your inner geek with a weekend of comics, gaming, cosplay and comic book heroes from near and far.
Durham's homegrown Comicon celebrates its 10th anniversary with a cosplay contest, panels, collectibles and a comic book pop culture overload experience. Join thousands of other collectors, gamers, creators and enthusiasts in downtown Durham for a weekend of world-building fun.
Location: Durham Convention Center, 301 W. Morgan St.
Dates: November 4-5, 2023
Hours: Saturday, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Sunday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Weekend Admission – $39.99
General admission, including 20% off Con merch.
VIP Pass – $99.99
Includes weekend admission plus a NC Comicon shirt, print, a VIP badge and an exclusive pack of special comics to be signed at the event.
Sat AM Weekend VIP Pass – $99.99
Includes weekend general admission, plus VIP access to Manga Saturday AM Con. Receive a Saturday AM artwork badge, shirt, art print, a selection of Saturday AM graphic novels and bookmark, discount on Apparel by Atsuko and VIP seating for all Saturday Con panels.
Saturday Only Pass – $29.99
Saturday admission for fans 12 and older.
Sunday Only Pass – $24.99
Sunday admission for fans 12 and older.
Kids Pass – free with a paid adult
2023 Cosplay Showcase Contest
After a day of panels and collecting autographs, the main event takes place Saturday at 5 p.m. on the main stage. All are welcome to show off their craftsmanship, but pre-registration is required. If you're not joining the lineup for judging, join the crowd to cheer on your favorite cosplayers as they strut their stuff in their second skin. Youth 15 and under will be awarded titles in a separate category.
Cosplay Craftsman Contest
Creatives fabricating at least 60% of their costumes are invited to pre-judging Sunday, 1:30-4 p.m. before lineup, stage walk and awards at 5 p.m.
Special Guests & Panels
Don't miss the opportunity to hear from legends in the comic book industry about their inspiration and creative process, learn more about the DC Universe, Star Wars, Horror Movies, tips on how to get published in Manga, how to get started in comics and so much more!
For the 10th Anniversary of NC Comicon, Saturday AM has joined to host a live convention with artists from around the world making some big and exciting announcements and sharing their expertise on all things comics and manga. Bring some of your own work for a chance to win an art contest.
Plan Your Trip
Make the most of your time in downtown Durham with convenient accommodations and world-class dining and entertainment.
Where to Stay During NC Comicon
There are five hotels within walking distance of the Durham Convention Center:
- Durham Marriott City Center Marriott City Center is connected to the Convention Center, offering easy access to festival activities.
- 21c Museum Hotel Explore the hotel’s art collection and snag a selfie with the 21c mascot – a hot magenta penguin (.2 miles from the Convention Center).
- The Durham Hotel A mid-century boutique hotel with a celebrated restaurant and rooftop bar (.2 miles from the Convention Center).
- Aloft Durham Downtown Located near the American Tobacco Campus, Aloft offers a modern aesthetic, heated pool, and proximity to plenty of dining and entertainment options (.5 miles from the Convention Center).
- Residence Inn Durham McPherson/Duke University Medical Center Area The newly constructed Residence Inn has apartment-style suites, heated pool, and fitness center near the Brightleaf District (.6 miles from the Convention Center).
- Unscripted Durham An eclectic hotel with a rooftop deck, pool and unique cocktail and cuisine options. (.1 miles from the Convention Center).
- Springhill Suites by Marriott City View A stylish, all-suite hotel with modern amenities and sustainable practices. Enjoy free breakfast and bring along the pup for a pet-friendly stay. (.8 miles from the Convention Center).
Explore downtown Durham
For more on where to dine, socialize and caffeinate, consult our Downtown District Guide. Plus, we've curated a few suggestions below:
- For Gamers – check out North Carolina's first eSports bar, Bad Machines, just a couple blocks from the Convention Center
- For a Comicon After Party – walk down Foster Street to Boxcar Bar & Arcade for arcade games, pizza and a full bar. Arrive in costume to receive four free tokens, and enjoy live entertainment and featured drink specials.
- For Casual Dining – try one (or a few!) of the many options at Durham Food Hall, or opt for a comforting bowl of ramen at M Kokko or Dashi nearby.
- For a Cocktail, Beer, or Glass of Wine – our nightlife blog has a rundown of options from dive bars to dance parties and award-winning craft cocktails.
- For Comicon-Inspired Entertainment – The Carolina Theatre is adjacent to the Convention Center, and has planned a weekend of retro films based on or inspired by classic comic books. Comicon attendees receive half-priced tickets by presenting their badge at the box office.