Customer-facing employees play an important role in the overall satisfaction levels of our visitors, as guests usually have their first interactions in Durham with these folks. Those first impressions form visitor opinions about Durham as a destination so it is important that we do our part to provide training opportunities to this growing sector of our workforce.
The Durham Convention & Visitors Bureau (Discover Durham) launched the online Durham Destination Awareness program as a way to supplement our current frontline Destination Awareness Training (DAT) program. The program is designed specifically for staff members that have difficulty attending on-site trainings or devoting over 1 hour to accomplish the in-person DAT program.
The current DAT is an in-depth presentation of Durham, conducted on-site or at Discover Durham for any and all frontline staff that wishes to participate. By offering the same in-depth training for frontline staff in an online format, Discover Durham makes it possible for users to complete the Durham Destination Awareness program on their own time.
As part of our expanding partnership programs, we are excited to offer regularly scheduled monthly destination workshops for people who work at Durham hotels, restaurants, visitor features, and retail stores. This program is designed to help frontline staff be strong ambassadors for Durham as they interact with visitors. The first workshop will be held on Monday, July 23, from 8:30-10 am, and a light breakfast will be provided. If you or your staff are interested in attending, please RSVP here.
If you are a manager of a lodging property and would like a customized workshop for your frontline staff, please contact Cara Rousseau, VP of Partnerships & Engagement, to schedule a briefing.
• Want to stay in the know about events in Durham? Bookmark the calendar of events and sign up for the weekly two-week snapshot email, which you can also share with your guests.
• Want to boast a bit about Durham? Take a look at the recent Durham accolades.
• Need to know about new developments around town?
• Does a guest want to know what to do for a day or two? Show your smarts and give them a suggested itinerary.
• Are they limited for time and just want the big stuff? Give them the must sees.
• Want to show off your knowledge? Then the Durham FAQs are a must.
• Digital maps & guides of Durham
• Visitor Info Center
Durham Visitor Info Center
212 West Main Street #101 Durham, NC 27701
Phone number: (800)446-8604 or (919)687-0288
Summer Hours (April - October):
Mon: 9am - 5pm
Sat: 11am - 7pm
Sun: 12pm - 4pm
Open 7 days a week except for major holidays
Winter Hours (November - March):
Mon: 9am - 5pm
Sat: 11am - 6pm
Open 6 days a week except for major holidays