Durham Named a 2021 Trending Destination by Airbnb
Airbnb reveals the top trends redefining travel in 2021
Durham, N.C. (October 15, 2020) - Airbnb revealed their top trends redefining travel in 2021 and Durham was highlighted as a trending destination.
Find the full online version of the article here and a section of the article on How Airbnb and Travelers are Redefining Travel in 2021 below:
Live Anywhere – Taking Life on the Road
In 2021, work from home could become work from any home as remote working continues to be a reality for many people. In the survey commissioned by Airbnb*:
- 83 percent of respondents are in favor of relocating as part of remote working.
- A quarter believe they will be able to ‘live where they want to and work remotely’.
- One in five of those surveyed have relocated their living situation during the pandemic either temporarily or permanently.
- 60 percent of parents are very or somewhat likely to consider working remotely and traveling with their children if schools continue to be disrupted.
- Unsurprisingly, Gen Z’ers and young millennials are most likely to believe they can move to a new location to work or study remotely.
One of the ways travelers are taking advantage of this trend is trying before they buy–turning to Airbnb to test new neighborhoods and cities before making a long-term commitment. From July to September this year, there has been a 128 percent increase in guest reviews mentioning “relocation”, “relocate”, “remote work” and “trying a new neighborhood” in comparison to the same time frame last year.
Of folks who have relocated since the pandemic was declared, 24 percent of them say they moved to a suburb and 21 percent to a rural area, both greater percentages than those who say they moved to cities.* And on Airbnb, people who have the opportunity to work from anywhere are actively booking longer stays (2+ week trips) in small-to-mid-size cities with access to immersive natural surroundings and wide open spaces, including these trending destinations below:
Park City, Utah
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Durham, North Carolina
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Greenville, South Carolina
Fort Walton Beach, Florida