It's not hard to find top-notch food in Durham. But if you're looking for the hidden gems - tucked away eateries with a loyal following of regulars - you'll have to dig a little deeper. Explore all of Durham's unique districts and check out unfamiliar shopping centers to expand your Bull City culinary horizons!
• Banh's Cuisine - This cash-only, cozy restaurant on Ninth Street offers fresh flavors from Vietnam and China.
• Chicken Hut - Located on Fayetteville Street, this cash-only, 60-year-old soul food restaurant is known for its mouthwatering fried chicken. You can also find barbecue, collards, and more Southern staples depending on the day of the week.
• El Chapin - Tucked away in a strip mall, El Chapin serves inexpensive Guatemalan food and doubles as a small grocery.
• The French Corner Bakery - In a nondescript shopping center north of Highway 85, The French Corner Bakery "makes the real deal Parisian-style breads and pastries," according to Reddit user FlowersForMegatron.
• Halgo European Deli & Groceries - Find specialty Polish and Eastern European foods at Halgo, including pierogi, Polish kielbasy, and homemade cookies.
• Home Plate Restaurant - Open since 1995, Cafeteria-style Southern cooking with a variety of entrees and sides.
• KoKyu Na'Mean - This is the brick-and-mortar iteration of the KoKyu food truck, serving globally inspired street food. People rave about the Belly Banh, Kokyu's take on a Banh Mi.
• La Cacerola - A Honduran restaurant near the Walltown neighborhood. "We take everyone we know to La Cacerola," wrote Reddit user Smokeahontas. "Get the guacamole and the pickled vegetables!"
• Melo Trattoria & Tapas - Italian cuisine with Spanish influences tucked away in a strip mall. You'll find classics like Bolognese and spaghetti alla puttanesca, along with a globally inspired tapas menu.
• Sitar - Indian cuisine with live music on Friday and Saturday nights. Gluten-free and vegan dishes are available, and Sitar offers a lunch buffet daily.
• Thai Café - A family-run restaurant offering authentic Thai cuisine from its Rockwood location. It also has a full bar.
• Thai Spoon - Tucked away in a shopping center, Thai Spoon serves classic Thai dishes. "So good, food is made to order, prices are reasonable," wrote Facebook user Liz Stabenow.
• Vegan Flava - Specializing in vegan cuisine, particularly raw foods, the cafe also hosts community events and offers consultation services.
Browse our convenient Google map of all of these locations.
From food trucks to fine dining, Durham dining establishments receive rave reviews. See More
Here's what we're doing this weekend -- eating our way through Durham's acclaimed barbecue scene. Pulled pork or brisket? Decisions, decisions. read more