A seven-block mixed-use commercial and light-industrial area just north of the central business district. The district was developed from the 1920s to the early 1960s. Most of the buildings are free-standing low-rise edifices set on large parcels, with generous parking areas. Includes the Historic Durham Athletic Park, built in 1939 and home to the Durham Bulls baseball team from 1939 to 1963. Significant for its post-WWII light-industrial plants, retail businesses, government offices and facilities, and automobile-oriented businesses. Architecture is distinctive for Streamline Art Moderne and mid-century modern commercial and industrial buildings in Durham.