Durham Wayfinders Volunteer Program
Helping visitors find their way for over a decade.
Launched in 2008, Durham Wayfinders is a city-wide volunteer program facilitated by Discover Durham. Through an online scheduling system, the program easily connects volunteers to a variety of opportunities at Durham cultural facilities, events, festivals, conferences and more. Some of the participating organizations include DPAC – Durham Performing Arts Center, The Carolina Theatre, The Scrap Exchange and Durham Central Park. From Broadway shows to intimate local concerts, there are many ways for you to engage with the community as a Durham Wayfinder.
Through Durham Wayfinders, Discover Durham aims to:
- Create a “one-stop shop” experience for those looking to volunteer in Durham for cultural events
- Provide cultural facilities and events with a reliable pool of trained volunteers
- Equip volunteers with resources to help them better serve as Durham ambassadors
- Provide those attending local events with access to knowledgeable volunteers who can assist them with directions and information about Durham hotels, restaurants, attractions and activities
- Exceed expectations by providing first rate customer service and ensuring that visitors leave with a great impression of Durham
How It Works:
- Durham Wayfinders is run through an online portal called Shiftboard
- Interested volunteers register for an account on Shiftboard and attend an orientation at Discover Durham
- Events and organizations make up various “teams” on Shiftboard. Each team is managed by a coordinator from the respective organization or event it represents. Team coordinators handle posting volunteer shifts to their specific team calendar
- Volunteers add themselves to various teams based on their interests and can sign up for the shifts of their choosing
- Team coordinators can pull reports, update shifts and maintain communications with the Wayfinders on their team directly through Shiftboard
- Nearly all Durham Wayfinders communications are handled via Shiftboard and email notifications. Access to internet and frequent email use are vital to successful involvement with the Durham Wayfinders program, for both coordinators and volunteers
For more information, or if you are a Durham festival, event or cultural facility interested in joining the program, please contact email@example.com or call 919-680-8308.